• 5000gns Tidkin Cow and Calf leads Tidkin & Jet Dispersal Sale• 15 Tidkin cows and calves average £3353• 28 Simmental lots in all gross £94,920• 4 Bulls average £5565 Bulls from the Chestermann herd of N&N Gwynne, Castlewigg Farm, Whithorn, Newton Stewart,...
A very stylish and powerful heifer was how judge David Lowry described the supreme Simmental champion at the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society’s 153rd annual show, held at Balmoral Park. Mr Lowry who runs the 65-cow Keeldrum Herd based at Lanark in Scotland, returned...
17 bulls sell, up 8 on the year, to average £3996 7 bulls sell at 4000gns and more Popes herd lifts Champion & Reserve in the bulls Fole Dispersal Sale tops at 3200gns Grangewood Lucas 5,500gns Grangewood Lucas from Mr & Mrs AS&YA Leedham, Rowan Farm,...
Simmental Society involved in trials in Cumbria and Yorkshire dales.
Monitoring the performance of different breeds of cattle on commons or rough grazing
The aims of which are to increase understanding of how grazing breeding or growing cattle on a common, allotment or other rough grazing affects:
• growth rates of the animals
• the quality and quantity of grass available in-bye for conservation or feeding other stock
• the rough grazing vegetation
And identify any problems with grazing rough ground or a common
We are monitoring:
• Growth rates or condition score changes
• Grass quality on rough ground
• Grass quality and some growth rates on in-bye
• Fertiliser inputs on in-bye
• Any health problems or management issues
• Cost/ benefit analysis
6 of the 12 farmers participating have some Simmentals or Simmental crosses in their herds.