• Delfur Nifty and Delfur Weigela N12 win Reserve Interbreed Pairs In what was a ‘fantastic Friday’ for Delfur Farms, Rothes, Aberlour, the November 2022 born Simmental heifer Delfur Nifty won the Simmental Championship and the Overall Individual Interbreed on the...
Fishpool Poppy wins Female Championship & Overall Reserve Jack Heath wins Overall Young Handler with Tirley Natalie Popes Premier, Simmental & National Pedigree Calf Show Interbreed Champion At the opening day of the 2023 English Winter Fair held at...
The catalogue for the Next Generation III Sale of Simmental females and weaned calves on 1st December is now out! Please click here to view.
Understanding the new EBV Graph
The BSCS is moving to a new graph for pen cards for all animals at Society sales. The new graph has been available for sometime as part of the Breedplan package used for performance recording and includes more detailed information on individual EBV values compared to the old graph. The new graph allows the buyer to see clearly where the animal’s individual traits fall in relation to breed average and also include the accuracy value.
Of course, as the EBV takes into account all the pedigree and performance information that is available at this point in time, the EBV is also the most reliable indication available of the animals breeding value for each trait at this point in time.
Within the display of the EBV Graph:
- The actual EBV Accuracy for each trait is shown at the right side of the graph.
- The Breed Avg values are listed in the centre of the graph and reflect the average EBV’s of current animals within the breed (ie. all 2 year old animals).
- The minimum and maximum EBV values are displayed at the left and right of the graph for each trait represented
- The horizontal bar (shaded/coloured area) displays where the animal is placed in relation to the current animals within the breed for each trait.
- As an illustration of the interpretation of the EBV graph, in the example below the animals 400 Day Wt EBV is of higher accuracy than the Eye Muscle Area EBV (because it’s horizontal bar is much narrower) and so there is less possible change in the 400 Day Wt EBV as additional information becomes available. Conversely, the EMA EBV may change when additional information becomes available.